Irish Ships and Shipping

Articles and News

Service to commemorate 450 years of the establishment of a shipping service between Dublin and Holyhead. 

David J Wynne-July 2011

A service was held in St. Philip’s Church, Milltown, Dublin on Sunday 10th July 2011 to mark 450 years of the establishment of a shipping service between Dublin and Holyhead by the then Government of Ireland to carry official documents.

The service was held in St Phillips because the church contains a stained glass window in memory  of William Green Skipworth, a London North Western Railway Manager who died in 1898 and lived on Highfield Road. The window, by John Bishop Earley of Camden Street, depicts the Good Samaritan because Skipworth was highly regarded as a man who looked after his staff, especially the elderly outdoor staff at a time when there were no pensions.

The service was well attended by past and present members of Stena Lines and its predecessor, Sea Link and by friends and supporters from Ireland and Holyhead

  Bernard Farrell Mary Cummins Stanley McCamley and Sean Cummins. Brian Scott, Stenna and organiser of the Service to mark 450 years of Mail Transport on the Irish Sea at St Philips. Caroline Scott, Canon Adrian Empey, Eamon Hewitt Jean Llewelyn, Williams Joe Ryan, Richard Burrell, Rev Sonia Gyles, Bran Scott and Terry Doyle.    

Caroline Scott, Stena, Canon Adrian Empey, Eamon Hewitt, Communications Manager, Stena, Mrs Jean Llewelyn Williams, Deputy Mayor of Holyhead, Joe Ryan, Irish Maritime Institute, Richard Burrell, Holyhead Maritime Museum, Rev Sonia Gyles. Bran Scott, Stena, Organiser, and Terry Doyle, Dun Laoghaire Port Manager, Stena, stand in fromt of the window to commemorate W.G.Skipworth at the Service to mark 450 years of mail services between Dublin Area and Holyhead which took place at St Philip's, Milltown

David J Wynne-July 2011

Back to Articles and news page